Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Proverb for our Day

When I attended the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, my favorite professor was Dr. Joe Cothen. He was the vice-president of the school as well as a professor in pastoral studies. The first week of chapel I heard him preach on the virgin birth of Jesus Christ. I was so impressed that I took every class he taught over the next two years. I learned so much from this great man of God.

There is one proverb that Dr. Cothen taught us that I have never forgotten. It has so stuck with me that I have labored to teach it to my children as well.

“Increased resources are a detriment to a flawed character”
This proverb teaches us that flaws in our character are magnified when more resources flow into our life. Our modern day news is filled with living illustrations of the truth of this proverb. We witness the young athlete who receives a multi-million dollar contract but implodes over character issues. Some say the boxer Mike Tyson earned over 300 million dollars and today he is bankrupt and by his own admission miserable.

O.K., so I know if Ed McMahon suddenly appeared at my front door with the Prize Patrol and a big check the flaws in my character would only be magnified, but what about the spiritual issues in my life? Would the “walls” of character in my life be able to handle the increased blessing of God?

I hunger for an increase of God’s manifest presence in my life. I desire an increase of anointing in my ministry. At the same time, I also pray for strength of genuine character in order to be able to express God’s power for God’s glory in an earthen vessel.